Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Hummus 2.0

My previous attempts at hummus have always resulted in a drier almost crumbly mix. Tasty as hell, good nutritious protein, but a dip it is not. I always presumed this was a combination of a hand blender that is not up to task, lack of patience on my part, or the fact that I was sparing on all those calorie rich oils and tahini.

Not so. As an experiment, I decided to try a different tack this morning. I got my recent batch of chickpeas, scooped out a suitable amount and gave them a quick mash with a fork. Enough to break the skin, and split them up a bit, but we are not replacing the blender here.

Yeah, I know you are meant to remove the skins. Life’s too short, don’t set the Cuisine-quisition on me.

I chucked them all in the container, and doused them with a respectable amount of lemon juice. By respectable, I mean, I have no idea how much – at least a full lemons worth if you are freshly squeezing them, maybe 2 tablespoons if you are using juice from a bottle.

I topped off with the oil (maybe 1-2 tablespoons) and set the mix aside to see if letting it develop has any kind of effect.

2 hours later I am back from the pool and the shops, and I set about blending it. Whatever happened it blended smoothly first go, into the smooth paste that you are meant to have.

The flavour was divine – lemon juice stronger than I usually have it, but not overpowering. In fact the main ingredients were in perfect balance (the tahini, garlic, lemon juice, spices – cumin, coriander, paprika and a little chilli powder, as well as the usual stalwart – half a jar of sundried tomato pesto.

Absolutely gorgeous. Didn’t make enough at all. Will be all eaten soon.

2 comments:

  1. Ah yum, my hand blender broke so I'm suffering from hummus deficiency right now... the stuff you buy just doesn't cut the cookie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ellen,

    Hand blenders get pretty whacked out when you become a hummus fan. Part of the cost I suppose.

    Store bought hummus is okay, but you get tiny amounts of it for what you pay for. The amount of hummus I go through, requires a large scale approach.

    Best of luck sourcing a new one - my sister got a really good one for Christmas, but I didn't take note of the model.

    Oh wow, does this post really look this bad? Going to have to do something about that....

    ReplyDelete